Volunteering your time is something that not only helps your community, but helps your well-being too. Studies have shown that people who volunteer are less likely to be depressed, especially for people 65 years or older (Mayo Clinic, 2017). This is mostly attributed to the social aspect of volunteering. It takes a village to get things done, and when you’re volunteering for a place that you are passionate about helping, chances are that village shares the same passion that you do. This of course leads to lifelong friendships and makes you enjoy what you’re doing even more.
Have you ever seen a person experiencing homelessness and discover you have a passion to help them? Or maybe you love to cook but are the type to make WAY too much food (we serve meals 3 times a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to our residents so we definitely could use you!).
Maybe volunteering at Bartlett Housing Solutions can help you build your resume for your career. Whatever the reason is, we would love to have you! We accept almost any kind of help you are willing to offer, but these are the most common volunteer opportunities:
- Administrative Support: Gain experience in filing, data entry, and answering phones. This role is important to organizing our clients’ needs and addressing them appropriately.
- Cleaning: Providing a clean and healthy environment is crucial to breaking the cycle of homelessness. The role of sweeping, mopping, and dusting is a volunteer task that is greatly appreciated.
- Meal Preparation/ Kitchen Help: If you love to cook, this task is for you! Bring your friends and make your favorite recipes! We’re sure our residents will love you for it. Many of the families we house have been in a situation where they couldn’t afford food, so we ensure that there are 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Repair/Maintenance: With any sort of housing, there is bound to be repairs that need made at some point. So if you have any skills in electrical repair, plumbing, painting, etc. then we would love to have you!
- Transporting: Often times, we have large items that we need a truck to transport. If you are someone with a truck and looking to help, please reach out to us! We would just have you on call when we would need you.
- Event Support: Are you looking to get experience in event execution or management? Throughout the year, we will have fundraising events going on that we could always use help with! Just contact just contact us for more details!
- Laundry: Doing laundry might not be the most glamorous of volunteer tasks, but it is needed greatly. We go through 5-10 loads of laundry a day and it contributes to providing our residents with a safe and clean environment.
So wherever your skills and passions lie, just know that you are welcome at Bartlett Housing Solutions. We will be here for you when you want to do good, and we will be here for you if need housing.
Ready to give back? Apply here: